Sunday, December 30, 2012

Old Men Are Grumpy Around The World


We finished up our work in the village.  There was nothing more to do that day but we had more time on our hands.  So, we took a trail that led us through the fields to another smaller village.

Four Men Watching

We happened upon a construction project on a certain family’s house.  The cement pouring was in progress.  The young men were busily at work.  A bunch of children were at play.  I didn’t see any women, but they were likely very busy, just out of sight.  And then there were the four old men watching it all.  

Our national partners tried to engage the older men in conversation.  However, they were not able to get a hearing for some reason.  It was decided that I should talk to the men since I was closer to their age.  This was not really true, as they were easily 20-30 years older than me, but I never argue with national partners.  They would pray for me and play with the children, while I evangelized this time.

So I started talking with them about the events of their day and their village.  We had a pleasant, even enjoyable conversation.  They were farmers, so we talked about the crops, the weather, the harvest and their plans and challenges this year.  I don’t know much about farming, but I can ask good questions and listen well.

The more we talked the more I felt like I fit in with them and their concerns for their community and the next generation.  And the fun part about hanging out with older men is hearing the sarcasm and grumpiness come out after a while.  It reminded me yet again that people are still people wherever you go in the world, even in this isolated Asian village.

How Do The Crops Grow?

When it seemed the right time, I decided to start into a deeper topic.  I asked them how the crops grew.  Of course, they thought it was a really dumb questions, so they gave me a really dumb answer--something about soil, rain and sun.  Then I clarified that I was speaking about the mystery of life and growth.

Now we were off and running.  They told me that the whole idea of God was ridiculous and that religion was a superstition for old women and young children.  We had such a rapport at this point that I bluntly (old man style) told them that my answer of God was much less ridiculous than their non-answer.  A little cheeky, I know, but sometimes it is interesting to push people and see what happens, or rather what God can bring about.

My gamble with being impudent worked this time.  We talked about God’s benevolence to all and all of them, providing what they have and need, even people’s happiness and families.  I even went so far as to tell them that God might not like their ingratitude and using His gifts without thanking Him, let alone acknowledging His existence.  

Obviously, they had never heard such things.  More thoughtful conversation followed.  We discussed various arguments for the existence of God, such as the order of creation, but moreso the universal moral code, and then my favorite--the existence of human personality.

The Gospel Can Fit Into Any Conversation

Eventually, I shared with them my own religious upbringing (which they also had) and my journey into atheism, and finally my experience with the grace and mercy of God and putting my faith in the true God of all and His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.  This was a fascinating time of storytelling and even a little Q & A.

Presuming they actually do know God exists, because God places such knowledge within everyone (Ecclesiastes 3:11; Romans 1:18-23), I continued to talk further about Jesus Christ and His person and mission.  I told them Jesus’ parable on crops growing from Mark 4:26-28, which linked back into our earlier conversation.  And of course, I went on to talk about the true meaning of His words regarding spiritual growth and Kingdom growth.  

Well, that was enough transparency for that afternoon, for all of us.  We all had things to do.  It was time for us to leave, as our ride would be arriving back in the other village shortly.  They asked me if the real reason I came was to tell them about God.  The answer was simple, “yes.”  

We left information about having a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, both in print and video format.  And I further explained that these friends of mine (national partners) who had been translating and playing with the children, are the ones they could talk to at a later time.  

It Pays To Talk To Everyone

The following week our partners would make a follow up visit and see if the Holy Spirit had done any further work in the village, or with these four men.  The information spread as you can imagine--sometimes unbelievers turn out to be great evangelists!  But, there was no fruit, at least not yet anyway.  

It is amazing to me how often God brings these men to my mind to be praying for them and their village.  And the main lesson I learned that day was that there is almost always a way to engage even the most difficult people.

No comments:

Post a Comment