Sunday, January 12, 2014

When The Prayer List Turned Black

During a message on intercessory prayer I held up my prayer list to show everyone that I had been praying for them regularly, every week, by name, and with specific requests on their behalf.  

After two years, it now looked like a scribbled mess of black ink.  That is because all those prayers had been answered by God!  It was time for a new list after the prayer list turned black.

What Started This

The prophet Samuel makes an interesting remark in the conclusion of his farewell addresses to the people of God.  The Israelites had just begun their transition to a monarchy in rebellion against God.  Nonetheless, he would continue to pray for them.
1 Samuel 12:23–24 ESV “Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.”
This section of the speech takes on even more significance when considering what transpires yet before Samuel’s death in chapter 25.  The people would need a lot of prayer for this monarchy and their lives to turn out well.

My ministry takeaway was that the greatest service I could render the people of our congregation was to pray for them diligently.  And so I did this believing it would have the greatest effect in their lives and upon me as God worked His grace in all our lives together.  

The Growing List

So, I created four lists organized alphabetically by family name, and then prayed through each list once a week.  As a I heard about needs, observed concerns, or felt prompted by the Holy Spirit about a matter, I would put a note next to their family name.  

At times I would let people know which day I would be praying for their family so that if they had any concerns they could let me know about them.  It encourages people when we tell them we are praying for them and include specifics.  When the prayers were answered I would scratch them off, which is what made it look so illegible.

People changed and grew, and I noticed it quickly, probably because I was praying.  This was very encouraging.  An unexpected blessing was seeing some of the church’s “problem people” (every church has them) become team players, and my love and leadership toward them become more effective.

I also found two other benefits relating to Samuel’s words.  Praying for people in this way leads to giving more insightful instruction on faithful discipleship publicly and then more personally in private.  And beyond prayer and instruction, people need their leaders to remind them of God’s greatness and encourage them to consider the greatness of His special works for them.

Applicable to Many Ministry Settings

A common application of this passage from 1 Samuel is that spiritual leaders need to pray for those they lead, for those receiving their teaching, and all who are going to be effected by their ministry.  It would be a sin not to do so.  In reality is a great duty of delight!

There are many ways to arrange how we pray for one another.  Adjustments can easily be made for different leadership roles and growth in the size of any ministry organization.  I am enjoying figuring out how best to systematize my intercessory prayers now in a new ministry organization.

Our faithful praying as leaders accomplishes much.  How has God been answering your diligent prayers for His people and His work?  How might you improve your faithfulness in praying for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment