Sunday, October 6, 2013

Bless Your Predecessor, Bless Your Successor


A colleague of mine has a saying:  “it is all about who you follow.” This is very true; because comparisons are inevitable.

My Predecessor

When I arrived as the new pastor it wasn’t too long before I heard the comparisons.  To some I was all the previous pastor was not, and all they ever hoped I would be.  To others I was greatly lacking compared to the skills of my predecessor. 

It didn’t take long to hear contradictory testimony, however.  To some I was more personable than the last pastor.  While to others I was less personable than the last pastor.  I am still trying to figure that one out.  

I guess it is a little like making a call as a soccer referee, to one sideline you made a great call and to the other sideline you are an idiot.  And of course, the parents may change their minds when you make the next call; and most likely they will change their minds many times throughout the match.  

None of the pastoral comparisons were mean or unkind in anyway, at least the ones I heard.  I enjoyed listening because the comments revealed far more about the people making them and their desires than the pastors under scrutiny.  And it is good and helpful to get to know such things about the people you want to serve.

Besides, it is only natural for people to make such comparisons, and to base them on their own experiences.  People have different perspectives and commitments.  And most people don’t mean any harm.  

A Strategy for Comparisons 

I knew this would happen so my approach going into the position was to only make positive comments about my predecessor.  After all, we pastors need to stick together.  I am so glad I made this commitment as it kept me thinking clearly and honoring God in my thoughts of him.  And whenever he and I spoke I was able to bless him. 

Whenever I heard a negative comment I would defend him, offer an alternative view, and redirect the conversation.  Whenever I heard a positive comment I would reinforce it and share in the goodness that person felt.  Regardless, I would pray for these dear people in the pastoral transition, as it is a challenge for everyone.  

Even pastors have to admit that we do the same comparing quite often.  Truth be told, we might even be less charitable toward others, while at the same time harsher on ourselves, failing to see the grace and gifts of God given uniquely to each servant of the Lord.  Let us remember Ephesians 4:7 ESV “But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.”

My Successor

This past week my successor arrived, and I am now his predecessor.  He will likely have to find his own approach to dealing with the pastoral comparisons sure to come his way. 

A few months ago after he accepted the call I was thinking how I might bless him before he even arrived.  So I wrote him a short email, “I can hardly wait to see what God does through you at the church!  You are the right man chosen for the right time.  You have all my support and prayers in advance for whatever you set out to accomplish.”  I will be praying for him and the people we both love and serve.  

The installation service a few days ago filled everyone’s hearts with joy and hope.  My predecessor, my successor and myself were all present and we all spoke to encourage the dear people of God.  We all viewed this as one grand partnership in God carrying out His purposes in and through this particular church of His.

Transitions are Blessings

Transitions are exciting, promising, and unsettling times.  Many people think that success can be seen in a church maintaining the vision of its previous pastor.  I disagree.  I believe that it is more often God’s design to give new direction through a new leader.

By recognizing this we can more thoroughly rejoice in the past, and in the new present, and be ready for a different future.  It has been my experience that when a pastor blesses his predecessor and his successor, he blesses the congregation more than he can imagine.  And I believe God is blessed.

It is unwise to compare pastors to pastors, for too long or too closely.  Even we as the pastors need to guard our minds and not get sucked in, for we are often even more vulnerable than the congregations we serve.  Consider 2 Corinthians 10:12b ESV “But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.”


Pastors Daniel, Tim and Bob

Vicki Burris, Lisa Etherington, Linda Holmquist

No comments:

Post a Comment