Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pray And Get Over It

I have received a lot of grief over the years for using the statement, “pray and get over it.” 

I don’t remember where this saying came from.  Perhaps I said it on a mission trip.  Or, maybe it was in a sermon somewhere, and I was in the moment and it just came out of my mouth.  Regardless, it stuck, and has been used against me many times.

Knowing What is Meant

Context is everything.  The congregation knew what I meant.  But, they teased me relentlessly, and still do.  Yet, because we all love one another and know that the saying is true I believe that it has been helpful to all of us.

We are prone to exaggerate concerns in our lives, or concerns for our own church.  And we too easily focus upon matters that are trivial in light of the grand mission of God in front of us.  It was such situations that gave rise to this mildly famous saying of mine.

Certainly, isolated from context such a saying appears insensitive, simplistic, overly concise.  Praying through difficult and emotional circumstances all the way to the end is a process, not given to a momentary solution.

However, sometimes we do need the simple truth simply put in our face.  And it works best coming from those who care for us, people we love and trust.  Though even coming from others, such a truth has immediate benefit.  

Our Reality

When we are under fear, suffering pain or trudging through disappointment, the reality is that so often we don’t go first to prayer.  We go to other things, such as the advice of friends, resources, reasoning, or other distractions and pleasures.  These may all be good things in themselves, but they can not accomplish what prayer does.
Philippians 4:6–7 ESV “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
All I meant by the saying was that if we pray, then we will get over it, just as this Scripture informs us.  God will minister to our souls through prayer.  

So, I don’t really regret saying what I said.  And for those who still don’t like it, maybe you should just pray and get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment