Sunday, July 12, 2015

Pray That Other People’s Prayers Get Answered First


Your friends might pray better prayers than you do.

The Praying Prayer Team

I have many friends who regularly pray for me, my family and my ministry.  Sometimes, I wish I could listen in while they are praying.  This is because I know them and how spiritually-minded they are.  I am confident they are praying for my best and for the advance of the Gospel of the Kingdom through me.

One reason I would like to listen is to hear how the Holy Spirit might be leading them to pray for God’s will for my ministry.  But, I don’t need to hear their prayers because I will see the results of their prayers soon enough!

Borrowing Their Prayers

Sometimes I have a hard time praying for myself.  The same is true for my ministry.  I might just be tired, or tired of praying the same things over and over.  And I am sure I don’t see all the things for which I should be praying.

Every so often I start by praying, “Lord answer the prayers of Dave & Beth, Bala & Carol, Tim & Lisa, Tim & Michelle, Raymy & Jennifer, Brian & Pearl, Bob & Pam, John & Debbie on my behalf.”  These dear friends form my core prayer team.  Other days, the Lord will bring to mind other prayerful friends.  Whatever these people have prayed is surely good.

A Really Good Solution

This kind of praying opens my mind to the broader purposes and workings of God in the world and our lives.  I end up praying for those who are praying for me, and our partnership in the Gospel is strengthened!

Have you ever noticed how the Apostle Paul truly valued the prayers of his mission partners?  He understood prayer to be a powerful means of support, encouragement and actually making a difference in his ministry.
2 Corinthians 1:11 ESV “You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.” 
Colossians 4:3 ESV “At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ . . ." 
Ephesians 6:18–19 ESV “praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel," 
Romans 15:30 ESV “I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf,”
It is wonderful to know that we are co-workers through our prayers.  Pray for those who are praying for you, that God answer their prayers for your ministry even before He answers your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment