Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Single Man With Many Descendants


He owned a Christian bookstore in an east coast resort community.  Most Christian bookstores I know are filled with books of fluff, barely able to be acknowledged as Christian.  In a resort community?!  This would be fun; so I took a look!

There was a decent biblical studies section, and virtually no Christian romance.  These were two good signs.  As I peered deeper into the shelves I discovered that whoever owned this store knew his theology and had a mission in the community.  I had to meet him.  

My Greatest Early Encourager

He was a man full of the joy of the Holy Spirit, obvious from his smile and greeting; and then confirmed with his words.  He explained his vision to reach the community with solid biblical truth, to counsel all who entered, and to serve his church.  Simply, amazing!

I was a young college student at the time serving on a summer mission project in the community.  Recently, I had been tasked as one of two student teachers for the summer.  A daunting and thrilling task.  This man encouraged me.  He came to my teaching sessions.  He always encouraged me with specifics every time, and with notes of personal impact upon him.  Never ever a word of discouragement to a young man.

He became a good friend.  I would stop by his store a couple times a week.  I would hang out with him at church.  I would ask him questions about life and ministry.  

My wife and I were engaged at the time, so we asked for his advice on this, as well.  He was a single man, and always was and would be.  God’s wisdom was spoken to us through him into our relationship.  He attended our wedding and blessed us with his presence and many more words of gracious wisdom.

A Sacrificial Visit to a Pathetic One

After the mission project I returned home.  As often happens after such spiritually intense situations, depression set in.  I called him often for advice.  I was in a really bad place.

Then, he surprised me and took time to fly out and visit me, just to spend a week encouraging me, praying with me and listening to me.  Who does this?!

I still remember that week and how much it meant to me and how it put me back on the right track.  This was a week that changed my life and gave me courage to move forward in God’s will and plan for my life.  Thank you, brother.

Twenty-Five Years Later

We kept in touch on and off.  But, last year I was traveling through his city in Ohio and decided to stop by and visit.  This is after I had grown up, grown in Christ and grown in ministry.  This is when I started to ask more important questions about him.  Who was he really?

After our dinner at a local pizza place we went back to his simple home.  I learned about his broad ministry to college students over the years, particularly young men.  He had a number a Bible studies going on in his home with the college guys from the nearby campus.  He was forming leaders.

He prayed for them all.  He followed them all, their lives, their struggles, their successes  and the joys in life.  I found out that he was praying for me all these years.  He probably doesn’t know it, but I left his house that night for my hotel room being blessed, humbled and honored from being with him.

He is currently involved in a new church plant.  He is an old man, but younger, bolder and happier than most people I know.  This is because all he cares about is knowing Christ and spreading the Gospel of Christ; and the rest of life deserves little mention.

The Choice for Unselective Impact

My life has been shaped by this man taking an interest in me, praying for me and encouraging me.  I am not so sure he is very selective in whom he chooses to impact.  He just does it to whomever God brings his way.

He is my living model of a single man who uses his gift to please the Lord by extending the Kingdom.  As our Apostle Paul says, “I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 7:32 ESV)

When I consider the promises to Abraham of innumerable descendants of the faith in Genesis 12, 15 and 22, I actually think of my friend’s place in the larger story of God.  Here is a single man who has many descendants!  He has shared the Gospel of salvation with hundreds if not thousands of people, and discipled as many who will impact as many.

I am humbled and emboldened by my dear friend, Bill; to indiscriminately encourage others, to sacrifice whimsically, and to invest in the people God brings into my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment